I recently went to the store and somehow ended up with three containers of Strawberries (They were 3 for $5!), at the time I thought it was a good deal, but after a couple of days of them not being touched I decided I needed to make something with these guys real quick.
I stumbled across a recipe for Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake (link at the end), and had to make it immediately. One downfall… butter. I always tend to be out of one or two of ingredients when I want to bake, so I tend to improvise. For this recipe I subbed some coconut oil and added extra greek yogurt. It gave the cake a super moist consistency. Also when I bake I use Purple Orchid Low Gluten Wheat Flour (great for making breads as well!), along with regular flour.
Strawberry Greek Yogurt Cake
*1/4 cup coconut oil
*1 3/4 cup greek yogurt
*1 tblsp lemon juice
* 1 cup low gluten flour
* 1 1/2 all purpose flour (you can also just use 2 1/2 cups instead of the low gluten)
* 2 cups strawberries with tops cut off
*2 cups sugar
1.Grease your pan, (I used a bundt cake pan), and put the oven on 325 F°. blend eggs, sugar, lemon juice, coconut oil, and 3/4 cup of the greek yogurt.
2. slowly add the flour, lemon zest, and the rest of the greek yogurt and blend until the batter is smooth.
3. Take a couple of the strawberries and slice them, place on the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the rest of the strawberries into the batter and slowly blend them in, until they are broken up but not blended into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the pan, and place the pan into the oven for 45-60 minutes. The cake will be ready when you are able to poke it with a knife and nothing sticks to it!
I felt that the cake was already sweet enough to serve without any glaze, I put some whipped cream on it instead… but there is a glaze that came with the regular recipe here; http://www.aspicyperspective.com/2010/05/farmstand-fresh.html